Friday, February 6, 2015

Azusa’s Birthday Short Story Translation [2014]

image 

Azusa’s Birthday Short Story Translation [2014]:



――Even if there is nothing good, you can still live; she taught me that.





“Happy Birthday To You ♪ “




The two of us huddled around the cake with its candles rested on top. In her lovely voice, she sang the Happy Birthday song to me. And when the song had reached its end, I blew out the candles.




“Thank you, Eve.”

“Happy Birthday, Azusa-kun.”




As she spoke through her cheerful words, she clapped in a systematic beat. With seeing her like that, for some reason, very very uneasy feelings began to well up inside of me.




“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing… …”




She failed to overlook my dimmed expression. I didn’t want any misunderstandings to happen, so I was stumbling at my words, but willing to surface my feelings.






“I’m scared… …because when this happiness passes… …it’d, well, it’d disappear away from me and I’ll never know if it’ll come back… …that’s all I was thinking about… …”

“Azusa-kun… …”




Her visage dampened into sadness. I didn’t mean to make her sad. The sense of guilt grew stronger inside me. She casted her eyes down, grasping my hand. I returned the grasp back to her.




“It’s okay. I’m right here next to you, Azusa-kun. So don’t be afraid, okay?”




“Eve… …”

“Now… …this way, we can do it without having to be so celebratory.”




I closed my eyes and listened to her gentle voice. What she was saying was completely right. However, I couldn’t bring myself to be obediently happy like she wanted with my timidness getting in the way.




“I’m sorry, Eve… …all you were trying to do… …was celebrate… …”

“It’s fine. It’s how you are, Azusa-kun.”




I quietly clenched Eve’s hand again. Then, she strongly clenched mine back.




“Azusa-kun, thank you for being born.”

“… …Yeah, thanks… …”




I reflected upon those few words she said to me, mulling them over and over again deep within my chest.




I had a feeling that it was her who gave someone as lowly as me the right to live. Though, if I told her that, she’d surely be angry. I’ll keep silent… …




――Somehow, I’m beyond happy… …it seems rather strange.




~End~

No comments:

Post a Comment