Friday, July 6, 2018

AX 2018 - JAST BLUE BL Localizations

Earlier this year, JAST BLUE (part of JAST USA) announced that they would be localizing Nitro+Chiral's Sweet Pool for Western audiences (a bold choice in my opinion lol). Recently at AX, they announced they would be bringing the rest of N+C's games over: DRAMAtical Murder, Togainu no Chi, and Lamento Beyond the Void.

So I'm not... that excited? While it is nice to have an official Engish translation and have more BLs in the West to support, a lot of people (myself included) may find it pointless to purchase official English versions of games you've already played. Rather than buying a game to just sit around on my shelf, I'd rather support the series by buying merch I don't yet have. Not to mention, fanmade English patches of TnC and dmmd especially have existed in fandom for years, Sweet Pool had a mostly 100% patch that was still being updated, and Lamento had a popular patch in 2015.

Because of that I can only see this benefitting new BL fans the most. Sweet Pool however would also be good for N+C fans who never had a chance to play the game, since it is pretty niche imo. Lamento may be hit or miss since the patch for it is still recent.

If dmmd re:code - aka the vita ver - was being localized, then I would buy that game in a heartbeat for that sweet Mizuki route. But it seems like Jast is only releasing the original PC ver so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'd even be interested in a Slow Damage localization if it was possible to release it around the same time.

But anyway. If you haven't played any of these games before, then keep a look out on these localizations! N+C games are always a delight to play for their stories, and each game carries a special place in my heart.

Also it's been many years since Jast's localization of Enzai, so hopefully they've learned by now to have polished translations. 😂

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment