Monday, May 11, 2020

Chou no Doku's Questionable English Release

...Aka, how NOT to port a console otome to mobile. ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Tune in to salt below.

(I realized I forgot to post here as well. Condensed Tumblr version located here.)

So on April 20th, 2020, a mobile otoge company called Abracadabra released a mobile port of the (sorta) spicy game, Chou no Doku by Aromarie. Another otome available for the first time in English - This should be great news for the #OtomeArmada! Right? ....Wrong.

If you want to bypass the ticket system, then you can buy a full route package for the amazing price of.... $90! Did I mention that this microtransaction system is kinda exploitative and no one charge that much ever? 🙄

Did I also mention that it's extremely buggy, has no voice acting, and doesn't even include the super steamy scenes because it's a handheld port rather than a PC port? ┌(┌ ^o^)┐

Abracadabra is also notorious for paying their translators and editors horribly so... don't support them on that front either lol.

To quote one of my twitter rants about it:
I remember when I first got into mobage and saw Shall We Date's Scarlet Fate, aka Hiiro no Kakera 4. And I remember thinking to myself, wait it's a psp game originally but there's no voices?? + the whole checkpoint system. And when I played there weren't any voices OR bgm 🤔
@ otome companies I'm begging you... Stop porting full games to mobile. 😑😑 Or at least do it right like Idea Factory.

$90!? No voice acting! You might as well import it at that price for a lot cheaper. Even cheaper would be using a JP account to buy it on Switch. 👍

Ports like this are the reason why mobile otoges get a bad rep. I understand the "we'll take anything!" mentality when licensed otome in English are so scarce, but if you're going to receive a product then you should receive a high quality one!

That's all for now. Until next time!

Bonus: Here's a scene with some voice acting in it

No comments:

Post a Comment