Monday, April 6, 2020

Quick and Dirty Reviews: (Some) Early 2000s PC BL Games [R18]

Cheesy graphic brought to you by yours truly
You ever have those moments where you vividly remember something you did years ago? I just took a trip down memory lane and flashbacked to all the BL VNs I used to play back in the day lmao. So now I present: Quick and Dirty Reviews of some early BL games!

By no means is this an extensive list; I did have a life back then and couldn't spend all my time gaming (kinda..). Since I'm probably never going to write full reviews for most of these games, I figured this would be a fun little thing to do. Disclaimer: It's been years since I've played so my details may be fuzzy, although some games made more of an impression on me than others.


DRAMAtical Murder
[Opening]
Release Date: March 23, 2012
Man... I remember this game coming out haha. 😅

DRAMAtical Murder is Nitro+Chiral's most popular game and a common gateway drug game into the BL genre for many people, and for good reason. There's bright pretty art, a (mostly) likable cast, an easy system, and an engaging plot that reveals itself the more routes you play. Adult scenes can be nice, but they're easily skippable for those who don't want them since they don't contain important plot info.

It's not all fun and roses though and can get dark real fast, especially regarding psychological themes and gore. Like all N+C games, prepare for a feels trip. Yet the music is surprisingly upbeat. Also, the soundtrack for this game SLAPS, I love Goatbed's work. I wrote a review for the game too here.

DRAMAtical Murder Re:Connect
[Opening]
Release Date: April 26, 2013
The smutty fandisc sequel that is still super adorable. Seriously, lots of fluff and smut available for good or bad end versions. There's also some non-romantic stuff in here too, like Aoba's childhood. Also! I love the 8-bit UI for when you choose characters. (^▽^) Some things to note: If you didn't like Mink's attitude in the first game, he's gentler in this game after he went off to do some soul searching. There's also more "fun" times with Virus and Trip lol.


Hanamachi Monogatari
[Opening]
Release Date: August 26, 2005

Another game I found after my Silver Chaos obsession (mentioned later), this time by both the same company and artist. Sign me up! Our protagonist (Suri? Shuri? I dunno) is an orphan (I think?) that has been bullied at his workplace due to his mixed heritage. Annoyed, his employer sells him off to a brothel and well... I'm sure you know where this is going lol.

I don't remember when my MoriMori bias started, but he's one of the main love interests in this game. ouob And Midorin is the protagonist haha. There are some other nice seiyuus in this game too.

Like Nessa no Rakuen (below later), this has has pretty art but eh story. I don't remember how far I got on it but considering the premise is as questionable as NnR I suppose it's a good thing I didn't waste time on it┌(┌ ^o^)┐ If brothels are your thing then give this game a go. Otherwise: Pass.

Lamento Beyond the Void
[Opening..kinda]
Release Date: October 27, 2006
I love this game! It's easily one of my favorite BL. If romancing fantasy cat boys while sorta kinda pairing up with demons to save the world from a sickness killing all life is your thing, then come on down to the world of Sisa. For our protagonist Konoe, it's a race against time to figure out what's causing the Sickness, and the meaning behind his strange dreams and sudden tattoos. As always with Nitro+Chiral, so many great things. Check out my review of it here where I gush a ton about it 

Nessa no Rakuen
[Opening]
Release Date: August 27, 2010
And the kusoge award of this post goes to Nessa no Rakuen!

Produced by the same company as Silver Chaos, I remember being excited for this game because it released on my birthday lmaoo.

The art for this game is gorgeous. Unfortunately it's another generic ~exotic~ Arabian fantasy game that involves being kidnapped and then used for sex lol. Your innocent foreigner protagonist Will is sent to some desert for some research, and then ends up as part of a harem for 2 Arabian princes and their.. servant? If quasi-Arabian fantasies are your guilty pleasure then give it a shot. Otherwise, thank you next.

On the plus side: I looked up this game again to see who the voice actors were and it's actually an impressive cast! Kaji Yuki, Nojima Kenji, Maeno Tomoaki, and Hatano Wataru (all using pseudonyms of course). Too bad an amazing cast had such a forgettable game 🤣


Silver Chaos
[Opening]
Release Date: July 26, 2002
I think this was one of the first BL games I ever played? Definitely before I played Dmmd. A game with a lot of typical medieval fantasy elements that's a bit cliche but still enjoyable. (*´∀`*) There's a lot of routes, some of which aren't pictured on the box art. I remember playing this numerous times for all the endings haha.

Basically this game takes our knight-in-training Might (who names their kid that?) on a fantasy quest to save his orphaned bestie since childhood, who disappeared after using dark magic to save Might's life. Meet handsome men throughout your journey, including your bestie who is now possessed and wants to end the world (or something). Yknow, typical villain stuff. It has its angsty moments, but also lighthearted.

If there's one name I vividly remember from this game it's Adonis, because the protag talked about him all the time and even compared him to the Greek god at one point lmaoo.

There is a shota in this game. He's aged up in the epilogue but still.... ehhh 😐

One of my favorites was definitely the red head, Leica (voiced by Konishi btw haha). Also, possessed Adonis be looking like a snack.


Silver Chaos Fan Box Eternal Fantasia
Release Date: May 25, 2003

Like any other fandisc, this game is all about fluff and smut between our lovely boys post-game, including alternate timeline/ending scenes. A short indulgent game, but nice if you enjoyed the first one.

(Side rant: Why is finding a picture for this so hard?? I finally found one with decent enough resolution and then try to adjust all the color levels aaa)


Silver Chaos II Artificial Mermaid
[Opening]
Release Date: February 27, 2004
I don't think I actually finished this game? Or if I did I sped through it. But I was obsessed with Silver Chaos so I definitely grabbed this. This has different characters in a completely different time era (sci-fi) but honestly I'm pretty sure these are reincarnations of everyone from the first game lol. All the designs are reminiscent of the first and some tropes remain, like childhood friends between the brunette and silver haired boys. Even the god from the first game is in this one lmao. The art is pretty and story sounds interesting, I just don't remember any of it. Also the protagonist has to constantly take his meds or he'll die or something. 🤷

Sweet Pool
[Opening]
Release Date: December 19, 2008
Sweet Pool is officially licensed now by JAST BLUE, but I played it back when that didn't exist haha. N+C games can get pretty dark, but out of all 4 BL titles I'd have to say this one is the darkest - Although not in a way you'd expect, especially if you've played Nitro's other games.

This takes place in a high school, but body horror and hallucinations are big aspects of this game. The protagonist Youji is known as a uh.. Mesu or something like that? Basically ABO "mpreg" elements occurring unnaturally, and people are after Youji due to that. I'm normally not the biggest fan of ABO but it wasn't distracting for me. It's an interesting game that I would still recommend, but it's definitely a big angst, bittersweet, feels trip. 😣

Togainu no Chi
[Opening]
Release Date: February 25, 2005
This gritty game takes place in a post-apocalyptic world ravaged by World War III. Our protagonist Akira is falsely arrested and forced to participate in a survival game called Igura if he has any hope of escaping. A popular drug called "Line" is used by many participants to gain power, but where does it come from and at what cost...?

I'd say it's definitely a staple if you're into Nitro's game and BL games in general, and the length and plot will keep you entertained for a while. You can tell it's a little dated (it was Nitro's first game after all), but don't let that deter you from trying it if you haven't. JAST BLUE released it recently on Steam and it's really affordable.

My favorites would be Motomi and the "true" route.

P.S. To all you otome fans out there, the artist for this game is the same as UtaPri. 😉


・゚✧・゚✧・゚✧・゚✧・゚✧・゚✧・゚✧・゚✧・゚✧・゚✧・゚✧・゚

So... this really ended up turning into a Nitro+Chiral and Vivid Color post, whoops. ≖‿≖

Technicallyyyy DMMD isn't from the 2000s, but it's one of my favs and was my gateway game into Nitro+Chiral's other works haha. Pretty sure Silver Chaos was my first BL game ever though.

I was going to include Gakuen Heaven on this list because I thought I played it but.. I guess I only watched the anime. If there's one thing I do remember about it though, it's that the school is named Bell Liberty Academy, aka BL Academy.. Ah did I enjoy making jokes about that lol.

Ironically I never played other early 2000s "classics" like Enzai, Lucky Dog 1, Omerta, Absolute Obedience or Hadaka Shitsuji/Naked Butler (which is now licensed by MangaGamer!). I suppose if I ever have absolutely nothing to do I could give these all a try... And if I'm feeling strong... 😂

Out of the games above, I'd definitely recommend all of Nitro+Chiral's games. I'd suggest basing your play order on what kind of themes you'll be able to handle, although DRAMAtical Murder is a common first choice since it's the most upbeat. Silver Chaos is a bit dated but is a fun play if you just want some indulgent fantasy tropes. Although I haven't played Gakuen Heaven, I heard it's a cute game (plus the goods - it is an adult game after all).

If I missed any games or end up playing some more, I'll definitely be back for a Part 2 www

Until next time!

Bonus: Look at this cell phone ghsldfj

No comments:

Post a Comment